Monday, July 15, 2019

ABC: Bible Meditations for Me! A Is for Affirmation!

ABC:  Bible Meditations for Me!  A Is for Affirmation!

ABC:  Bible Meditations for Me!  Bible Meditation Vs. Eastern Meditation


Introduction: 
This lesson is one of twenty-six ABC lessons for parents, grandparents, kids, and teachers.  As of now:  B, D, L, O, P, Q, R, U, V, W, X, and Z are posted.  Scroll back to read them.

A Is for Affirmation

A is for affirmation-
"I am" words that you
believe are true.

The I Am Man and The Sinner Man

In Luke 18 we read about two men who went to the temple to pray.  One was a Pharisee, and one was a Publican.  First, the Pharisee the "I Am Man," prayed like this:  "God I thank you I am not a sinner like these other people.  I am not a stealer.  I am not a cheater.  I am not an adulterer.  I fast two times a week.  I give money too.  Second, the Publican, the "Sinner Man," couldn't even look up to heaven, but beat his chest and said, "God be merciful to me a sinner!"   The Pharisee makes us think of those who recite affirmations about themselves like:  "I am good, I am kind, …" Which of the two prayers did the Lord accept? Why?

The "I Am" Truths Jesus Taught

The Lord Jesus spoke some words beginning with "I am" that told who Jesus was.  Do you know them?  If you don't, highlight them in your Bible.  They are: "I am the good shepherd, the light of the world, the door, the bread of life, the vine, the way, the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the I AM that I AM, and I am God!  How wonderful are the words of Scripture!  May we ever hide them in our hearts, not so we can feel better about ourselves, but that we might not sin against Him!

A Bible Affirmation for Meditation

Psalm 139:14 includes a Biblical affirmation which says, "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

A Marvelous Marker to Make

Cut out a bright marker.  Punch out some confetti dots; sprinkle dots on a glue dotted marker.  Print verse on a smaller contrasting strip and glue it over the confetti dots.  Insert in your Bible!

"I Am God's Child!" 

A false declaration that people often believe is: "I am God's child."  Have you ever heard that?  A friend I knew insisted we were all God's children.  Yes, we're all created in God's image, but we aren't all God's children unless we've accepted the Lord as our own personal Savior.  So, we're not automatically God's child.  If we were all God's children, Jesus didn't need to die on Calvary to take away our sins. If you hear that statement, remember this "I AM" Bible verse from John 14:6 where Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me."

Teacher Room Affirmations

Affirmations having positive words are everywhere on walls, bulletin boards, and little cubes sitting on desks and counters. Wherever one turns you bump into a few more from the bookstore to the beauty shop.  One, I've never forgotten, that I saw in a teacher's room said: "You are be-you-tiful!"  Proverbs 16:2, however, reminds us that: "All of the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes, but that the LORD weigheth the spirits (motives)."

The "Believe" and "Praise" Towels

Positive words are even on towels.  I saw two that read: "Believe!" and "Praise!" My grandkids saw them.  So, I used that time for a teaching moment and commented how pretty they were, but just the words alone made me wonder "believe what?" or "praise whom?"  I told them I wanted the words to mean: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved!,"  and "Praise the Lord!"

Daily Rituals

Each morning at a certain school over the intercom the principal leads the children in the pledge and some declarations.  Each day the children say The Pledge of Allegiance so thoughtlessly, and the declarations: "Be strong!  Be kind!  Be courageous!" so glibly.  Whenever I hear them I think of long ago when each morning the teacher would read the Bible, and lead the children in "The Lord's Prayer!"  After, all would salute the flag and sing; "My Country 'Tis of Thee."

Now the only mention of "God" left is in the flag salute. Children never hear the Bible read nor pray.  Most never sing anthems.   Instead, they mouth mantras and affirmations or practice mindfulness or yoga.  How we should especially care about, reach out to, and pray for children who are not able to be homeschooled and are subject to our school systems.  May we never forget these children!

Eastern Meditation

A Is for Affirmation

A is for affirmation-
a positive thought-
that parents and children
are often taught.

Louise Hay's Affirmation Instruction

Louise Hay was a New Ager who wrote an affirmation book for kids called I Think, I Am!: Teaching Kids the Power of Affirmations.(2008)  In it Hay said one begins an affirmation in four ways: "I can, I am, I do, I have."  Once written, one repeats an affirmation over and over again.  Like a mantra the affirmation is to be said against negative thoughts.  Hay suggested one look in a mirror while repeating the statement. Besides, Hay wrote that one should close their eyes and picture exactly what they wish.   And teaches Hay, if one can think it, it will happen.  Notice Hay's title once again which defines an affirmation: "I Think, I Am!"  Think about it!
https://www.amazon.com/Think-Am-Teaching-Power-Affirmations/dp/1401922082

Affirmations Become Meditation Mantras!

Liz Bragdon of  'Move with Me Yoga Adventures' wrote "Affirmations and Mantras for Kids."  In it Bragdon maintains that affirmations are terrific tools that kids use to help themselves. Bragdon goes on, "Affirmations are short 'I Am' statements that call you into an intentional way of being."  These statements should be accompanied by visualization. 

When do affirmations become mantras?  Bragdon asserts as affirmations are repeated over and over aloud they turn into mantras one can use for meditation.  This then changes how we feel aligning/attuning our body, mind, and heart around this life-changing declaration.  https://move-with-me.com/uncategorized/affirmations-and-mantras-for-kids/ 

Recall II Timothy 3:15 states, "That from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."  The scriptures, not self-created affirmations, are the words that assure us of hope, salvation, and success for life!

Scriptures
 for Me!

Will it be
affirmations?
No way!
Will it be
visualizations?
No way!
Will it be
sensations?
No way!
What will it be?
It will be scriptures
for me!  Daily!
                        LEP

Parental Suggestions: 

Affirmation Searches

The next time you're in a store that sells books or products that include affirmational items, point them out to your child.  Talk about the affirmations you see, and why or why not what they say is true or false.  Be ever vigilant to assert that repeating and thinking of Scripture, rather than repeating and thinking of affirmations, is God's way.

Affirmations for Kids Aligned with New Age "Law of Attraction"

Here's a video Youtube look at the kids' book:  The Law of Attraction for Kids: Using Affirmations to Build Self Esteem by Jennifer Quaggin for 7-10 year olds which combines saying affirmations with the New Age "Law of Attraction."   Beside its Amazon.com book photo it says, "Do you believe in magic? …  If you use The Law of Attraction you can be anything you want to be, you can have anything you want to have.  All your most wonderful dreams will come true!  …  All you have to do is read this book for twenty-one days in a row. …."  What outright lies this book teaches!  View it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNgnB_XZUsM&t=2s

No comments:

Post a Comment